Melanzane alla Parmigiana
This has to be my favorite italian dish and its allowed on the Fayesfitness meal plan s that makes me very happy indeed.
- 2 garlic clove crushed
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 aubergine cut into long, 5mm thick slices
- 85 g Parmesan freshly grated
- 20 g pack basil leaves torn
- 1 egg beaten
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. In a shallow pan, mix together the garlic and 4 tbsp of the olive oil. Cook over a high heat for 3 mins, tip in the tomatoes, then simmer for 8 mins, stirring every now and then. Stir in the tomato purée.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until very hot. Brush a few of the aubergines with a little oil, then add to the pan. Cook over a high heat until well browned and cooked through, about 5-7 mins. Turn them halfway through cooking. Lift onto kitchen paper and do the next batch.
- When all the aubergines are cooked, lay a few of them in the bottom of an ovenproof dish, then spoon over some sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and basil leaves. Add seasoning, then repeat this process with the remaining ingredients. Finally, pour the egg over the top, sprinkle over a little more Parmesan, then bake for 20 mins or until the topping is golden.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!